Marler Clark has extensive experience representing victims of outbreaks of human pathogens. In 1993, William Marler represented HUS survivor Brianne Kiner in her $15.6 million E. coli settlement with Jack in the Box. Since that time, Marler Clark has represented hundreds of individuals, mostly children, in litigation resulting from consumption of contaminated food and water, as well as exposures to contaminated swimming pools, petting zoos, and other recreational environments.
Marler Clark has brought claims on behalf of victims of Norovirus outbreaks traced to contaminated foods and surfaces. The firm has litigated against restaurants, hotels, and other entities responsible for Norovirus outbreaks. Below is a list of Norovirus outbreak-cases Marler Clark has been involved in. The links will take you to the Marler Clark Web site, where you can read more about the outbreaks and about Marler Clark.
The Kent County Health Department announced on May 18, 2005 that approximately 125 people became ill with Norovirus infections after eating food purchased from a Grand Rapids Blimpie’s restaurant in May, 2005.
In May of 2006, a norovirus outbreak was traced to food served at Bravo! Cucina Italiana restaurant in Lansing, Michigan. Over 500 people contacted the Ingham County Health Department to report experiencing symptoms of norovirus after eating at Bravo.
Marler Clark filed a lawsuit against Bravo on May 15, 2006. The firm plans to pursue litigation on a number of other plaintiffs.
Over 400 diners became ill with Norovirus after eating at Carrabba’s Italian Restaurant in Lansing, Michigan, after eating there on the weekend of Jan. 28-29. Ill food workers for the restaurant, which has a history of critical food safety violations, were the likely cause of the outbreak, according to an investigation by the Barry-Eaton District Health Department.
Marler Clark filed a lawsuit against Carrabba’s on February 14, 2006, and will pursue claims on behalf of all victims of the outbreak who contact the firm.
Los Angeles County health officials traced the source of a Norovirus outbreak that hit the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Scientific and Technical Awards in 2002. At least 550 guests at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Los Angeles became ill with Norovirus infections after consuming foods catered by the hotel kitchen.
At least 32 people became ill with Norwalk Virus (Norovirus) after eating at Si Casa Flores in Grants Pass, Oregon in early January, 2005. The Oregon Department of Human Services traced the outbreak to the restaurant after the outbreak was identified.
To learn more about Marler Clark and our efforts on behalf of Norovirus victims, visit http://www.marlerclark.com/news-norovirus.htm.