We’ve recently received multiple reports of people getting sick with norovirus-like illness (nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea) after eating raw oysters in restaurants. In just March alone, we’ve received reports of 13 people whose illnesses we believe are linked to eating raw oysters. An additional 14 people became sick after being in close contact with the ill people who ate oysters. Most of the additional illnesses are among family members.
Eating raw oysters can make you sick because they can be contaminated with norovirus and other germs. While norovirus is not typically a serious illness for healthy people, it can be very unpleasant. In addition, it’s highly contagious, meaning someone who has been infected with norovirus after eating raw oysters can easily pass the virus to their family and friends.