- Practice proper hand hygiene:Wash hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and changing diapers and always before eating or preparing food.
- Take care in the kitchen: Wash fruits and vegetables, and cook oysters and other shellfish thoroughly before eating.
- DO NOT prepare food while infected: People who are infected with Norovirus should not prepare food for others as long as they have symptoms and until 3 days after recovering from illness.
- Clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces: After an episode of illness, such as vomiting or diarrhea, immediately clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces with a bleach-based household cleaner or a solution of 5–25 tablespoons of household bleach per gallon of water.
- Wash laundry thoroughly: Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with vomit or fecal matter. Use detergent and wash at the maximum available cycle length and then machine dry.