August 12, 2006

WHITEFORD, Md., (UPI) — Contaminated well water is being blamed for an outbreak of Norovirus that sickened some 200 campers at a Boy Scout reservation in Maryland.

Harford County health officials said the water at the Broad Creek Memorial Scout Reservation tested positive this week for fecal coliform bacteria, which led to the gastrointestinal condition last week.

The outbreak struck as about 1,200 campers ranging in age from 5 to 18 were taking part in a jamboree for kids of Polish descent from the United States and other nations.

The Baltimore Sun said bottled water was brought in and the camp was scheduled to close for the season Saturday. The health department and camp officials will fix the well during the off-season.