February 12, 2006
More than 400 people contracted norovirus after eating at the Delta Township Carrabba’s restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Now, a Detroit-area Lawyer is now looking for clients — so they can sue the restaurant.
After 437 fell ill after dining at Carrabba’s, the restaurant was cited for cleanliness violations and for allowing a sick employee to keep working.
Now, a Detroit-area attorney says the restaurant should be held legally responsible for so many coming into contact with the norovirus.
Greg Liepshutz told us today that he believes an employee was forced to go to work when he or she was sick.
“The restaurant violated the law,” Liepshutz said.
The Detroit-area lawyer took out an ad in Sunday’s Lansing State Journal. It says people who ‘fell ill’ after eating at Carrabba’s two weeks ago may be entitled to money because of costs associated with doctor visits, time away from work, and pain and suffering.
Liepshutz says the ad is only targeting people who became seriously ill.
“Vomiting, diahrrea, hospital vists. That isn’t minor,” Liepshutz says. “If this was someone’s child, that isn’t minor.”
On the other hand, “if you went there and you came home and your stomach was sore for an hour — those people shuldn’t call me,” he says.
A manager at the Delta Township Carrabba’s told us he couldn’t comment for the story. He said we would have to contact the press office of the owner — Outback Steakhouse Inc. That office is closed Sundays. Our call was not returned.